BRITISH COLUMBIA – Level 2 -Challenge Course Practitioner – March 2024
Level II Full Challenge Course Practitioner meets ACCT Certification Standards for Level 2 Full Certification
CUI’s certification system is accredited by the Association for Challenge Course Technology (ACCT). Participants will receive intensive training and practice for the skills required to operate a challenge course facility: work at height; technical operations of elements; risk management; group facilitation skills and adventure sequencing & programming skills. Participants complete a written and practical test and if successful, receive certification.
Applying for this workshop is through Camp Elphinstone. To apply, please contact Andrew Sponagle at Andrew.Sponagle@bc.ymca.ca
Upon applying, please complete a Portfolio and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org to be reviewed. If you are an appropriate candidate for the workshop you will receive two workshop packs: 1 from Camp Elphinstone, 1 from CUI.
The cost of the course is $1,450 plus tax and is paid directly to Camp Elphinstone.
Consolidate CUI Level 1 skills plus prusik tie-off; operation of specialized belay systems: Participant Static Belay System, Aerial Trust Dive, Flying Squirrel; lost anchor retrieval; variety of knots; variety of belay devices; staff access climbing systems & skills
Exposure to 2 rescue systems; will practice using one system; develop skills for lead role in a rescue.
Risk management skills
Will learn to how to develop a RMP; skills for daily management of course & program; pre-use & periodic inspection skills; risk management theory; focus on ACCT Standards.
Facilitation & Programming skills
Exposure to a variety of levels of facilitation; exposure to programming and change theories.
- PREREQUISITE: Level 1 completion or Portfolio completion (download the Excel workbook).
- PREREQUISITE: Must have CUI Level 1 training or equivalent.
- PREREQUISITE: Must have 200 hrs of documented program experience on a challenge course.
- PREREQUISITE: Must be 18 years old to receive certification.
- 5 days / 40 hrs curriculum plus testing.
- For those who will have responsibility for daily management of the challenge course
- Focuses on use of initiatives, low and high challenge courses, and indoor & outdoor climbing walls
- Certified to be a Lead Instructor. Valid for 3 years.